Thursday 22 November 2012

Beakers are poured in Husborne Crawley

It's worth reading what's written on the sign, if you can.
Crossing today from the A1M to the M1 via the spanking new-looking A412, we shouted in unison, going round a roundabout, 'Husborne Crawley'! It was as though we had discovered Shangri-La. Yes, folks, we can confirm that there really is a place called Husborne Crawley (there is a place called Burton Dasset too, but not nearby). We bethought ourselves of trying to find the local Archdruid; there was no obvious Moot House, and the only pagan object of devotion we could find was the local White Horse of Husborne Crawley. The Archdruid was not there, alas, (at least we didn't think so), which perhaps was as well, since she might be none too pleased at being called upon unannounced. I wouldn't like to end up buried under the altar in a crouching position, perhaps clutching one of those eponymous beakers.



It being lunchtime, we bethought ourselves of the inner man. Moot house or no moot house, we shared poured out beakers in the White Horse and partook of the food of a bygone age. Not perhaps the age of the Beaker People, but I had chicken kiev and chips for the first time in decades, and my companion had sausage, egg and chips. Sort of time travel, really.
And we greeted the Archdruid from afar. And do so again now.

9 comments:

Archdruid Eileen said...

It is indeed worth reading the sign. And also drinking the Ringwood if it's on. I'm sorry I missed you ;)

Anonymous said...

I had a premonition ( or was that a Druidic vision...?) that pints of ale might be involved in your trip, Sean! And very fine they look too. Was there any truth in advertising regarding the sign?

Andrew said...

Sean, the last comment was from me, but did not prompt me for my name, so I fear it may appear as an anonymous post (the new last refuge of the scoundrel). Anyway, happy travels and looking forward to hearing more about the trip. Andrew

Pastor in Monte said...

Well, you might have gathered that the food wasn't exactly le Manoir au quat' saisons, but I think in honesty they were being modest. The White Horse is a nice pub, and the beer was delicious; I wish I could remember what it was....

William said...

The Ringwood was on, but we opted for the Black Sheep instead. (And while the place didn't pretend to be a 21st-century gastropub, the food was perfectly good of its kind, I thought. But then I have simple tastes.)

Anonymous said...

A421, maybe?

Archdruid Eileen said...

Indeed it is, Eccles. You have a keen eye for a typographic anomaly.

Fathers, was the log burner alight? Strangely, it's in the pool bar so you may not have ventured so far.

Pastor in Monte said...

I didn't see one, Archdruid, though there was a cute budgie.

GOR said...

It struck me that the folded umbrella on the picnic table looked a little like a rear view of the statue of Giordano Bruno in Rome...

But I'm sure that the only burning going on in Husborne Crawley is that of myriad tea lights!