Sunday 12 August 2012

Still hanging in there……

This morning, I celebrated two concurrent public Masses (at 9 and 11) just to see how it would go. Fine, is the answer. After the 11 I had a headache, but nothing worse. During the week, I celebrated publicly on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

This is wonderful. A month ago, only a month ago, I was seriously trying to cope with the prospect of perhaps never working as a priest in ministry again—not because that was what I wanted, but because that is where the illness had taken me. There are others in this situation, and, frankly, I have nothing but compassion and prayer for them. Having (nearly) been there, I know what it is like.

The only identifiable change in behaviour has been asking for, and benefitting from, your prayers.

God bless you.

And please pray for these others, whose names I cannot mention, for their sake.

And if you meet someone 'burnt-out', as they say, please be kind.

9 comments:

bedwere said...

Dear Fr.,

I'm very glad that you're feeling better. We prayed for you in San Diego. The closest experience that I had to "burning-out" was when my marriage fell apart. There was a day when even moving the mouse seemed like weightlifting. Since I could not even pray, I benefit much from listening to massive doses of Gregorian chant. After a week, thanks be to God, I felt much better and could pray the Rosary.

Jane said...

Father, So glad to have news of you, and that things are holding steady.


Prayers continue with love,

Jane

Jane said...

Father, So glad to have news of you, and that things are holding steady.


Prayers continue with love,

Jane

Anonymous said...

So pleased for you Fr...as one who has experienced total burnout & breakdown I will pray for those you know who are similarly suffering. i am totally recovered & what is more better than ever before because of what I have learned. remember Easy does it & keep on keeping on. God bless you & well done!

Mulier Fortis said...

I do read your blog whenever it's updated, Father (Google Reader is a wonderful invention) but I just put the names of the 4 priest-blogs which currently direct most traffic to my blog, as a courtesy gesture... otherwise I'd have had a very long blog post!!!

I am praying for you, and am pleased that you're coming out of the tunnel!

Dorothy B said...

Good to read this, Father. Still keeping on with the prayers. I will include the others you mention.

josephmchardy said...

Good news!

josephmchardy said...

Good news!

Amanda said...

Great news. Prayers continue.