Sunday 1 November 2009

Bean Dubh an Ghleanna

I discovered this last night. I think that Bean Dubh an Ghleanna (Dark Woman of the Valley) is quite my favourite melody. I am familiar with it played on the Uillean pipes, but have never before heard it sung. This little video touches me deeply on so many levels: the only item missing is a picture of the Sacred Heart with a flickering electric lamp in front of it. No doubt there was one behind the camera. It is so deeply familiar—this says 'home' to me (and produced tears) when first I heard it last night.

I know that this will simply puzzle some of you. But, dear God, it is so beautiful. And beauty, I suppose, is in the eye of the beholder.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

~It is indeed beautiful Father.

gemoftheocean said...

[I'd like to buy a vowel...]

There is something very beautiful about an older person singing a folk song. They sing without guile or self-consciousness -- as if they were trying to imitate a long dead relative of their own who'd first taught them the song.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear!

Pastor in Monte said...

Snob!

Slow of Heart said...

Lovely!
Music making of this kind goes right to the heart of what it is to be human and part of a living commun ity and tradition.
Thank you.

Slow of Heart said...

Lovely!
Music making of this kind goes right to the heart of what it means to be human and part of a living community and tradition.
Thank you.

Slow of Heart said...

Hearing that reminded me of a tune that used to haunt me once I heard it in the late 90s. I dare say it's very unremarkable but it can bring tears to my eyes for sheer beauty. Enjoy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSjmvU_8xLY

Norah said...

Gem, you are spot on.

johnf said...

Father, its such a sweet vignette, of a community almost 30 years ago.

Do scenes like this still exist in times of globalisation, euro this and that? I do hope so.

The tune reminded me of a melody called 'Lord Mayo' that was played by the Chieftains in vol 3 of their records. (available remastered from Amazon).

Here's the tune picked out on the guitar.

The Chieftains however make much more of it, though not on youtube. (There are other Chieftain's performances on youtube and I was intrigued to see one where the local parish priest was adding his bit on the flute...)

Anonymous said...

As a brother "Anonymous" I have to say to him of 2 November 21:58 that he is long past his due date for a heartfelt confession.
There is nothing much wrong with an upward looking snob, but the sneer of the man who looks down on good people like these is unforgivable.