Sunday 22 November 2009

Reservations?

I have heard a few (and only a few) people coming from all corners of the Catholic opinion-scale a certain apprehension concerning the forthcoming flood (or trickle) of new brethren from the Anglican tradition. Those on the more traditional wing might well be reassured by reading this passionate article from the States. I suppose that those on the more liberal wing won't be reassured!
In the end, Anglicans have been free (this deriving from the Protestant part of their patrimony) to find their own acceptable doctrinal cocktail. So the example I have linked to is only one example of what one community have arrived at, their position being considerably leavened with Catholicism. Other communities have their own acceptable cocktail. But the writer touches a very important point. It is the authority of the Church to teach that is missing: the lack of this is what has caused the disunity and the problems. If this is a common feature of our new brethren, then I think all will be fine.
Where there is a willingness to accept the authority of the Church as the living voice of our Lord, ('He who listens to you listens to me' Lk 10:16) I think the rest of the faith will follow in due course.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have heard it said by more than one Anglican priest or more than one occasion over a number of years that Anglican preachers (lay and ordained) should not preach doctrine from the pulpit. I rest my case on why we (the C-of-E) are in such a mess and why so many of us are looking forward eagerly to.......

pelerin said...

What odd advice - that Anglican preachers are told not to preach doctrine from the pulpit. It is not surprising that Anglican belief is so varied. Where are they supposed to learn their beliefs from?

Incidentally I do find it intriguing that comments from Malcolm Kemp, who appears to be Anglican, seem to be popping up on all the main Catholics blogs. Do I detect a curiosity, if not a great interest, in the beliefs of the 'One True Church?'

Unknown said...

Yes!

pelerin said...

So pleased with your answer Malcolm Kemp! Next year I shall be celebrating 45 years since I 'swam the Tiber' and I have never regretted my decision for one moment. However there have been moments when worship started to become mechanical and I was hanging on out of habit but a change of parish has restored my Faith 100 per cent.

My best wishes to you in your search for the truth.