Monday 16 January 2012

How far we have come

I have just been watching a programme on RTE about the Queen's visit to Ireland last year. It was an event that was deeply healing and is still being talked about there. Before the visit, the Irish Ambassador in London threw a party for the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall; it featured many people from the Irish community in Britain, both the famous and the not-so-well known. Two among the famous caught my eye; Bob Geldof was there, as one might expect. But the figure standing next to him was none other than Ian Paisley. A willing guest in the Irish Embassy! How far we have come, indeed!

When we have so much to lament in our world, there are also things to be grateful for.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Brillo Pads, as I used to say when teaching. So much of this is like the Liturgy which I follow every Sunday. Herein lies Tradition. For two thousand years, for a thousand years, for Five hundred years, her is the faith which my grandparents followed, which my parents followed, which I now follow, despite having being led astray into the desert for many years. I am home to the Faith of my Fathers. Holy Faith.