Sunday 15 June 2008

Yesterday

I should dearly have loved to have been in Westminster Cathedral yesterday for the Pontifical High Mass celebrated by Cardinal Castrillion Hoyos. I should have been in good company: the eminent Gregory Flash of Juventutem sent me a very good picture of Fr Ray there:



and I am well aware that the occasion was a historical and wonderful one. Congratulations are due to all those who worked for this.

My reason for not being there, though, is a good one. We had our annual procession of the Blessed Sacrament (date fixed a year ago), following our First Holy Communions last week. I should have liked to post pictures of our children, who were the most devout and well-instructed I have ever given first Communion to, but Child Protection Draconian Regulations forbid me doing so. The girls cast flower petals before our Lord, and the boys accompanied the Blessed Sacrament with torches in time-honoured style. I was very proud indeed of all the children. Fr Anthony Lovegrove, one of our Golden Jubilarian priests, generously agreed to preside at the procession, while I and Richard Edwards, our Permanent Deacon, assisted him.





We finished with a (slightly chilly) picnic and a (bio-degradable!) balloon race:



And, in the evening, all that was left was a few rose petals on the lawn, and a happy memory in the two hundred or so hearts that came to honour our Lord (we're only a small parish). Many thanks to the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament for hosting our procession in their grounds.


1 comment:

Vernon said...

A very wide selection of photos of Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos's visit to Westminster are now on the usual web site at http://www.traditionalcatholic.org.uk

A colleague and I were the LMS's official photographers and thus had access to places that the general pubic do not - hence some very different views of the ceremonies.